The Art Museum came into
existence in 1913, being known at that time as the Municipal
Gallery of Art.
The achievement was possible
thanks to the acquisition of some works of art received
from the National Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest and
of those bought by the mayor then, Bernady Gyorgy.
From that time on, the fund
of this museum grew richer every day, getting at the amount
of 2300 pieces, due to the prolific work of its managers.
Thus, now the collection
contains: paintings, sculptures, graphes, textile fabrics
and ceramics, acknowledged values and ones in the course
of being acknowledged.
Some illustrative names
of the Romanian and the Hungarian fine arts may be noticed
in the Târgu-Mureș collection, names which assured the
continuity of the 18th century plastic arts till nowadays:
Theodor Aman, Ion Andreescu, Nicolae Tonitza, Theodor
Pallady, Nicolae Darascu, Aurel Ciupe, Corneliu Baba,
Bordi Andras, Dosa Gesa, Iosif Iser, Vida Arpad, Gasca